Friday 11 February 2011

The Talented Mr. Ripley - Patricia Highsmith

I spotted this in the library, having enjoyed the film, and thought I'd see how the book compared, especially as I was surprised to find that it was written in 1955, as the film seemed very modern to me despite its period setting. The film had mostly stuck closely to the plot, and the book was an enjoyable read, although it made me realise how much the film benefited from the beautiful Italian scenery. The book did show its age a little in the emphasis on repressed homosexuality and Ripley's fear of being labelled a 'sissy' or 'pansy'. Also, the final scene of the film, which had particularly impressed me, turned out to be an invention of the director based on a brief hint in the book that Ripley feels an attraction towards the character who becomes his lover in the film.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Interesting piece by the director on the film adaptation process: "Truly, madly, Ripley" from the Observer 13 Feb 2000