Saturday 5 March 2016

De Klenge Prënz - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

This was a significant read for me as it was the first book I'd attempted to read in Luxembourgish (other than picture books I'd read for the children).  I'd selected it as it was short and familiar (I'd enjoyed it in English when much younger) but I did find it a bit of a struggle in places - certainly significantly harder than reading in German - and there were several passages that I had to go over two or three times to get the meaning of them.  I did make it to the end though, learning a few new words along the way, and I even understood enough to feel quite emotional at the end of the afterword, when the narrator speaks of his sadness and asks the readers to tell him if the prince returns.  As I've been thinking a lot recently about drawing, and how people learn to draw and gain or lose confidence in their abilities, I was also quite struck by the repeated mentions of how the narrator stopped drawing as a six year old due to the poor response of adults to whom he showed his first efforts, and by his decision to take it up again as an adult so that he could create pictures to help him remember his friend.

No comments: