Friday 14 January 2011

How Not to F*** Them Up - Oliver James

Quite an easy read from a psychologist with a largely psychoanalytic approach presenting his opinions on caring for under-threes - his main assertion being the importance of a consistent, calm, responsive and tuned-in carer. I found this quite useful as it helped me to clarify my thinking around my gut feeling that I didn't like the idea of a nursery at a young age but wouldn't mind one-to-one care from a relative. I also liked the discussion of the loss of status associated with taking on the traditional "housewife" role and the importance of explicitly thinking this through and doing household chores without resentment by making it a conscious choice to do them in order to create a positive home for your baby. The most interesting idea that was new to me was his emphasis on the importance of cultivating the belief that abilities and behaviours are malleable rather than genetically determined, quoting studies showing that bad behaviour, academic underperformance, and mental illness are all more likely to "stick" if carers and children believe that they cannot be changed.

No comments: